7 LESSONS FROM MY EXPERIENCE AS CHAIR, UNHRC at APIMUN 4.0


So I reached out to Chimezie Judemary Udechukwu  about my sustained interest in the Model United Nations (MUN) Conferences. He's been an astute Muner, several times President of the General Assembly, my Noble President of the United Nations Security Council at several  MUN. He acknowledged my reach out and one of those evenings, called my attention to Asian Pacific International Model United Nations (APIMUN) Conference.



So,

When he notified me of the call for Dais (that is committee executives), I was delighted and looked forward to having to learn from the best, as well as having him thread the international space with me.🦾

Little did I know that my boss, didnt apply for that.😳

After series of Interviews, written and oral, I got a mail after one back-to-back busy week. The mail congratulated me for being appointed as the Chairperson for the United Nations Human Right Council for APIMUN Online Conference Version 4. πŸ¦ΎπŸ˜€πŸ’ƒπŸΎ

While being excited about the opportunity, I was concerned about what exactly it will mean for me, playing in the international space, heading a crucial committee as the UNHRC being the 3rd time I was ever attending an MUN conference. 🀦🏾‍♂️

The reality of my experience  became clearer, when I noticed that

1.) I was the only Black African in the Conference,  both as a Committee Executive and as a participant.

2.) When I saw the schedule and Time Difference. GMT +8 - E Shock me.🀣🀦🏾‍♂️

My calculation showed me that, bros will need to make serious adjustments to make it work.

On a normal day, I sleep at about 2am and wake at 6 or 7am. But this time, I was gonna have to wake at 2:30am for the Conference and be online for the Conference on Zoom till about 12noon.

Men and Brethren, the level of Organization was spot-on, the schedule for trainings got my afternoons taken 🀣, the accommodation of the team was endearing. It exposed me to some technical work ethics, wider level of research, interesting possibilities in working from anywhere, and uncommon UN policies.

19th and 20th September 2020 was a day we all looked forward to see because of the nature of preparation made by the team.

Thanks to James Tolosa , Raissa Siswanto , (my Vice Chairs) and Sadman Arafat our Rapporteur for being ever ready to stand in and steer the wheel as at when due. Super thanks to Cyge Bartolazo and Jany too for the privilege.

With an interesting 25 member committee of active delegates, pushing foreign policies of representative countries, we indeed had a good diplomatic massage.

Starting with a deep, insightful session by Ambassador Gary 'Jesus' , representing New Zealand, we got a clear picture of what it means to be in the UN and to represent a country and group of people. The closing ceremony had Mr Flores Morse of the Office of the High Commissioner of Human Rights speaking passionately about Human rights and prioritizing our Humanity beyond the factors that divide us. They both were quite pleased to have an African in the midst of all the Asians, and made inquiries about what was my driving force in the space.πŸ˜…πŸ¦Ύ

Saturday morning was fun. I got my ringlight, (which drained my laptop battery faster as NEPA said NO!!! Thank God for a good phone🀣) with a plate of sumptuous rice served by mum and a flask of hot water and ginger drink to keep me hydrated. (Someone should give mama a hug for me jorh🀣🀦🏾‍♂️).

Sunday again, 2:30am, I was already up again by default... (beyond the mental consciousness, I celebrate my 2phone alarms + super friends like T and B that also dialed each of those days. Keeping watch like watchmen...🀣🦾) as usual, mum got me covered with some hot tea for upkeep...

Each of these days, the conference ended at about 12noon due to time Difference.

After a heated back and forth, Moderated Speakers List to Consultation of the whole, to suspension of meetings (If you know you know) we made it... and had great fun with our Delegates.πŸ’ƒπŸΎ

The story is getting longer... I know 🀣

Oya let's wrap it up...

Here are my take away lessons.

1.) To expand influence and relevance, you must break down the barriers of the 3rd world fence.

2.) There's a mindset that comes with sheer determination. It inspires discipline, and builds competence.

3.)With Social Media, you can be wherever you want to be if you see the need to be there.

4.) Before you allow challenges to pressure you out of track, ensure that giving up is the only option. Most times,  you'll see how useless Giving Up is.

5.) It's a height of stupidity to refuse to learn from people who know better than you. Information makes a lot of difference, keep learning.  Its wickedness to label yourself inferior.

6.) You can learn whatsoever you set your mind to learn. I really learnt a lot by that 2day opportunity that came with over 3weeks planning.

7.) Your fight is Different. Generations behind you will not ask about what opportunities you never had, But what you did with the little you had.



Be Intentional or Be Forgotten!



What did you learn from this? I'll love to hear.

#QuintImpact

#MADAdvocate

#APIMUNOC

Daniel Obiyo


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

THE BRAIN: POWERFUL DETERMINANT FOR ACTIVATION OF POTENTIALS

BURST THAT COCOON ( BTC )